Understanding the Causes of Wrongful Convictions
- Eyewitness Misidentification
- Official Misconduct
- False Confessions
- Ineffective Defense Attorneys
- Forensic Science Misconduct
- Junk Science
- Jailhouse Snitches
Links to National Innocence Organizations
- The Innocence Project at the Cardozo School of Law was the original innocence project.
- 250 Exonerated is the Project’s report on the first 250 DNA exonerations in the United States.
- The Innocence Network is an affiliation of innocence organizations from around the country.
- The National Registry of Exonerations documents every know exoneration case in the United States since 1989.
Academic Articles on Innocence Reform in Iowa
- Neal McNabb, Brian Farrell, & Carlee Brown, Voluntary Adoption of Evidence-Based Practices by Local Law Enforcement: Eyewitness Identification Procedures in Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska, 20 Journal of Gender, Race & Justice 509 (2017).
- Brian Farrell & Sara Farrell, Watching the Detectives: Electronic Recording of Custodial Inerrogations in Iowa, 99 Iowa Law Review Bulletin 1 (2013).
Iowa Legal and Corrections Resources
- The Iowa Code
- Iowa Judicial Branch
- Iowa Court Records Online
- Iowa Department of Corrections
- Iowa Board of Parole
- Iowa State Bar Association
- State Public Defender’s Office
- Iowa Lakes Community College Paralegal Program
- Buena Vista University Criminology/Criminal Justice Program
- University of Iowa College of Law
- Drake University Law School Legislative Practice Center
NAS Forensic Science Report CLE Materials